User Forum of Software BASEMENT

BASEMENT
Basic Simulation Environment for computation of environmental flow and natural hazard simulation
Laboratory of Hydraulics, Hydrology and Glaciology (VAW)
ETH Zurich
Basement_Logo

You are not logged in.

#1 2024-05-24 17:56:07

Stefano
User

Hope no to annoy

Hi everyone,

justo non to annoy I post this message, probably the last before giving up.
I'm getting crazy trying to understand the reason why I can't upload xdmf file in QGis, though I've read all topics regarding it.
I've started the tutorial Flaz-02-hydraulic-transient only changing the initial block (dry) and shortening total_run_time (15000 instead of 84000).
All's well, BASEviz runs (cute), simulation runs without error messages, export my xdmf file, change header lines... nothing to do: QGis can't read the subsequent file!

<?xml version="1.0" ?>
<!DOCTYPE Xdmf SYSTEM "Xdmf.dtd" []>
<Xdmf Version="2.0">
	<Domain>
		<Grid GridType="Collection">
			<Grid GridType="Collection" CollectionType="Temporal" Name="Flaz">
				<Grid GridType="Uniform" Name="Flaz@0.000000">
					<Time TimeType="Single" Value="0.000000" />
					<Topology TopologyType="Mixed" NumberOfElements="14457">
						<DataItem Format="HDF" Rank="2" Dimensions="57828 1">results.h5:/Domain/Flaz/CellsAll/Topology</DataItem>
					</Topology>
					<Geometry>
						<DataItem Format="HDF" Rank="2" Dimensions="7446 3">results.h5:/Domain/Flaz/NodesAll/Coordnts</DataItem>
					</Geometry>
					<Attribute AttributeType="Scalar" Center="Cell" Name="Depth">
						<DataItem Format="HDF" Rank="2" Dimensions="14457 1">results.h5:/Domain/Flaz/RESULTS/CellsAll/Depth/0</DataItem>
					</Attribute>
					<Attribute AttributeType="Scalar" Center="Cell" Name="VelocityX">
						<DataItem Format="HDF" Rank="2" Dimensions="14457 1">results.h5:/Domain/Flaz/RESULTS/CellsAll/VelocityX/0</DataItem>
					</Attribute>
					<Attribute AttributeType="Scalar" Center="Cell" Name="VelocityY">
						<DataItem Format="HDF" Rank="2" Dimensions="14457 1">results.h5:/Domain/Flaz/RESULTS/CellsAll/VelocityY/0</DataItem>
					</Attribute>
				</Grid>
				<Grid GridType="Uniform" Name="Flaz@15000.000000">
					<Time TimeType="Single" Value="15000.000000" />
						<DataItem Format="HDF" Rank="2" Dimensions="57828 1">results.h5:/Domain/Flaz/CellsAll/Topology</DataItem>
					</Topology>
					<Geometry>
						<DataItem Format="HDF" Rank="2" Dimensions="7446 3">results.h5:/Domain/Flaz/NodesAll/Coordnts</DataItem>
					</Geometry>
						<DataItem Format="HDF" Rank="2" Dimensions="14457 1">results.h5:/Domain/Flaz/RESULTS/CellsAll/Depth/1</DataItem>
					</Attribute>
						<DataItem Format="HDF" Rank="2" Dimensions="14457 1">results.h5:/Domain/Flaz/RESULTS/CellsAll/VelocityX/1</DataItem>
					</Attribute>
						<DataItem Format="HDF" Rank="2" Dimensions="14457 1">results.h5:/Domain/Flaz/RESULTS/CellsAll/VelocityY/1</DataItem>
					</Attribute>
				</Grid>
				<Grid GridType="Uniform" Name="Flaz@15000.000100">
					<Time TimeType="Single" Value="15000.000100" />
					</Topology>
					<Geometry>
					</Geometry>
						<DataItem Format="HDF" Rank="2" Dimensions="14457 1">results.h5:/Domain/Flaz/RESULTS/CellsAll/Depth/2</DataItem>
					</Attribute>
						<DataItem Format="HDF" Rank="2" Dimensions="14457 1">results.h5:/Domain/Flaz/RESULTS/CellsAll/VelocityX/2</DataItem>
					</Attribute>
						<DataItem Format="HDF" Rank="2" Dimensions="14457 1">results.h5:/Domain/Flaz/RESULTS/CellsAll/VelocityY/2</DataItem>
					</Attribute>
				</Grid>
			</Grid>
		</Grid>
	</Domain>
</Xdmf>

I go insane thinking that my very first attempt with BaseHPC went surprizingly ok on a basin of my own.
Thanks to everone could give me help.

#2 2024-06-03 13:43:21

marc h.
User

Re: Hope no to annoy

Hi Stefano,

I can feel your frustration. This issue is present for the whole lifetime of BASEMENT v4 now. I had the same problem 1,5 years ago in v4.0.0.

I set up my simulation in v3.2 instead, which is basically BASEHPC. Worked for me, the output was readable by QGIS.

#3 2024-06-12 08:44:05

Matthias Bürgler
Developer

Re: Hope no to annoy

Hi both,

I also understand your frustration with this bug. Unfortunately, we did not have the capacity to fix this until now.

@Stefano: From the paths in the XDMF it seems that this was a BASEMD simulation? Unfortunately, for BASEMD the HDF5 output is not working yet and therefore, also the XDMF import into QGIS or ParaView does not work. But you can generate other outputs for BASEMD that are compatible with QGIS (sms or shape (=shapefiles)) or ParaView (vtk).

Best regards,
Matthias

Ps: Please choose a meaningful title for topics in the future wink

Board footer