User Forum of Software BASEMENT

BASEMENT
Basic Simulation Environment for computation of environmental flow and natural hazard simulation
Laboratory of Hydraulics, Hydrology and Glaciology (VAW)
ETH Zurich
Basement_Logo

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-12-18 21:34:04

Alyssa
User

sediment transport continuity over weir

Hi

Is it possible to have sediment transport continuity over a weir in 1D? I've seen that the dredge source can be used for this purpose in 2D.

If yes, how to do it?

Thanks

Alyssa

#2 2020-12-21 12:24:45

Matteo Facchini
Developer

Re: sediment transport continuity over weir

Hi Alyssa,

I sugget you to refer to the Input block structure, which you can find under the "Help" in the software's GUI.

There, just by searching "dredge", you can find:

"This sediment source simulates the dredging of sediments from the bottom of the cross section (only one soil is allowed). The user has to define the 'dredge_level' to which the dredging is limited, the 'dredge_trigger_height' which is the deposition necessary (trigger) to start the dredging and the 'grain classes' that can be dredged. Additionally the 'maximum_dredge_rate' for the dredging can be defined. (the dredged volume is given without porosity.) "

You can see how to activate a dredge even for your 1D case and how it works.

Alternatively, you can open your simulation with basement, go under MORPHOLOGY > SOURCE and there you can select the dredge, click on the question mark and you get the explanation on how it works.

I hope this helps.

Matteo

#3 2021-01-01 23:56:55

Alyssa
User

Hi Matteo

Thanks very much for this reply. I understand you can dredge this above the weir, but is it possible at the same time to insert it back (downstream the weir) what is removed?

Thanks

best wishes
Alyssa

#4 2021-03-08 10:19:07

Matteo Facchini
Developer

Hi Alyssa,

unfortunately, as far as i know, there is no way to redistribute the dredged sediment downstream.

What you could do is to run a first simulation to save the dredged volumes and a second one where you use those volumes to as a source downstream.

Best
Matteo

Board footer