User Forum of Software BASEMENT

BASEMENT
Basic Simulation Environment for computation of environmental flow and natural hazard simulation
Laboratory of Hydraulics, Hydrology and Glaciology (VAW)
ETH Zurich
Basement_Logo

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-11-20 14:57:39

patrickbaer
User
Website

Coordinate system issue with BaseMESH 2.0?

Dear basement developers,
is it possible that in the new baseMESH, there is a coordinate system issue?

For the sake of testing the new update, I re-made a mesh of an old project with breaklines, stringdefs and region points in LV95. The model threw the error

-> no edges found for node string <outflow>, in file: N:\src\BASEplane\setup/Mesh.hpp on line 89, version v3.1.0
-> ... unfortunately BASEMENT is killed!

which means that there is an issue with my outflow boundary condition. When checking it closely (at zoom level 1:1), I recognised that the created mesh was shifted by 3.4 mm to south-east in Swiss coordinates, which resulted in Basement not recognising the coordinates of my outflow boundary contidion and throwing the error on me.
Mesh creation with the exact same input parameters with the old baseMESH (XL meshing) worked perfectly with no gap and basement 3.1 ran without any error.

Can you fix this bug or tell me how I can deal with it? We have a lot of projects in LV95, and until this is not fixed, I'm still stuck to the old baseMESH.

Thanks and have a nice weekend!
Patrick

#2 2021-03-01 14:14:31

Matthias Bürgler
Developer

Re: Coordinate system issue with BaseMESH 2.0?

Hi Patrick

We have not experienced any issues with BASEmesh, while working with the LV95 coordinate system. The experience of our team shows, that QGIS mesh rendering behaves a bit differently than other geometries, there is sometimes purely visual "bleedover" beyond the actual cell. The coordinates in the mesh do not necessarily match the QGIS visualisation (at least not to the millimetre). Therefore, what you describe sounds more like a rendering issue, than a bug.

Is the stringdef of the "outflow" included in the breakline file? I suspect the issue to be there.

Best regards
Matthias

Board footer