User Forum of Software BASEMENT

BASEMENT
Basic Simulation Environment for computation of environmental flow and natural hazard simulation
Laboratory of Hydraulics, Hydrology and Glaciology (VAW)
ETH Zurich
Basement_Logo

You are not logged in.

#1 2022-07-16 10:37:13

Nils
User

BASEmesh incomaptible with HEC-RAS 6.2

Hi users & developers,

for my master thesis I´m trying to create a 1-2D coupled modell with BASEMENT.

I created the 1D modell with HEC-RAS 6.2 and now I want to import my geometry file (.g01) into BASEmesh 1.4.5 to convert it to the BASEchain format (.bmg), as shown in the BASEMENT (v2.8.1) Tutorial chapter 1.5.6.
Unfortunately I get the following error:

An error has occurred while executing Python code:

TypeError: 'zip' object is not subscriptable
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:/Users/nilso/AppData/Roaming/QGIS/QGIS3\profiles\default/python/plugins\BASEmesh\gui\widgets.py", line 581, in accept
    success = csConv.writeShape(shapefileID, self.loadProgressBar)
  File "C:/Users/nilso/AppData/Roaming/QGIS/QGIS3\profiles\default/python/plugins\BASEmesh\tools\crossSectionConversion.py", line 368, in writeShape
    x, y, z = crossSection.getPoints()[0]
TypeError: 'zip' object is not subscriptable

In the tutorials an older version of HEC-RAS was used, so I compared the geometry files of HEC-RAS 6.2 and 4.10 and I found out, that there are differences in the file. When I save the geometry file with the older HEC-RAS version, the import in BASEmesh 1.4.5 works.
Is there a work around to stick with the newer version?

To find out that there are incompatibilities with the programmes (QGIS to BASEmesh to HEC-RAS) took me some time and now I´m wondering if BASEmesh 1.4.5 will be updated in the future to work with the newer versions of HEC-RAS and QGIS?
At least some information in the tutorial, which HEC-RAS version was used and works with BASEmesh 1.4.5, would be helpful.

Is BASEmesh 1.4.5 maintained in the future or will it be replaced by BASEmesh 2.xx in the longterm?
Is there a future for 1D modells in BASEMENT or is it planned to make the import of .g01 files available in BASEMENT?

I hope I´ll get some information as I need to evaluate how lasting my modell will be for my organization.

Thanks!!!
Nils

#2 2022-07-17 13:03:36

Nils
User

Re: BASEmesh incomaptible with HEC-RAS 6.2

I solved my first question.
You need to change the language settings of windows to English (U.S.) or if you don´t want to change the language of your system, just switch the settings of the decimal separator from “,” to “.”
After that BASEmesh 1.4.5 can load the HEC-RAS 6.2 geometry file.

I´m still interested to get some answers for my other questions from the BASEMESH developers smile

#3 2022-08-09 08:53:42

leonhard_s
User

Hi Nils,

Thank you for sharing that workaround for HEC-RAS 6.2.

Could you clarify what step of the export/import process was specific to the OS locale? I cannot find any code in the plugin source that could cause this, but HEC-RAS producing locale-specific files would be unexpected as well.

Regarding your other questions:

[I'm wondering] if BASEmesh 1.4.5 will be updated in the future to work with the newer versions of HEC-RAS and QGIS?

The v1 releases of BASEmesh are legacy versions that are not in active development and mostly serve existing workflows.

Support for v1.4.5 ended with QGIS 3.16 due a major jump in the embedded Python version. A maintenance version 1.4.6 that will cover compatiblity from QGIS 3.16 upwards is being tested internally and will be released soon.

Is BASEmesh 1.4.5 maintained in the future or will it be replaced by BASEmesh 2.xx in the longterm?
Is there a future for 1D modells in BASEMENT or is it planned to make the import of .g01 files available in BASEMENT?

There are currently no plans to continue feature development for BASEmesh v1. Providing a new 1D workflow supporting BASEchain and HEC-RAS formats in v2 is on the roadmap but I cannot give an ETA for its completion.

BASEmesh v1 will continue to be ported to newer QGIS versions until its remaining functionality has been fully integrated into BASEmesh v2.

Best,
Leonhard

#4 2022-09-15 09:47:10

leonhard_s
User

Follow-up on my previous post:

BASEmesh v1.4.6 has been released and tested on QGIS versions 3.10 through 3.26.

We are not aware of any remaining compatibility issues, please do report any encountered.

Board footer