User Forum of Software BASEMENT

BASEMENT
Basic Simulation Environment for computation of environmental flow and natural hazard simulation
Laboratory of Hydraulics, Hydrology and Glaciology (VAW)
ETH Zurich
Basement_Logo

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-03-11 21:05:31

Marulke
User

QGIS fails to read *.sol files

Hi,
I am unable to read the results from the 2D calculations (Basement 2.8) into QGIS (3.12).

QGIS reads and displays the mesh (*.2dm) without problems. When I add extra data set (*.sol) to the mesh (properties/source/Assign extra data) I get the message that data was successfully loaded. The loaded data is listed under "groups".

However, it is greyed out, and I am unable to display or access the data.

I see from other posts on this forum that there have been trouble with the format of the *.sol files.

Any advise on this? Am

Documentation of the *.sol format so I can check if it is OK?

Any alternative formats that QGIS will read. (I can import shape-files, but it is not very efficient).

I can display the data in Paraview (*.vkt), but i prefer to use a GIS system to combine the results with background maps and aerial photos.

What about the ASCII output from Basement (*.dat). Any way to read those into QGIS?

Best regards
Marulke

#2 2020-03-12 13:43:05

Matthias Bürgler
Developer

Re: QGIS fails to read *.sol files

Hi Marulke
I suggest to try loading the *.sol files from the Post-Processing Tutorial of BASEMENT 2.8. Please note that you must click on the greyed out label of a specific *.sol data layer to make this data layer visible and also to activate the "time feature".

Loading-SOL-data2.png

I hope this solves your problem.

Best regards
Matthias

#3 2020-03-12 14:35:27

Marulke
User

Re: QGIS fails to read *.sol files

Thanks Matthias,
your answer solved the problem.

Best regards,
Marsulke